Re: PAB 90% of participation is showing up

From: Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Date: Thu Dec 04 1997 - 12:17:29 PST

On Thu, Dec 04, 1997 at 12:11:50PM -0500, Antony Van Couvering wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Your point is well taken, and one we discussed earlier on the list. I
> don't really care, but I don't want to hear later that the Excom was voted
> in without a mandate. You see the problem.
>
> I would be interested in hearing more from other PAB members. Anything to
> get this election going ASAP.
>
> Antony

Since I am standing in this election, perhaps my opinion should be
discounted.

But I tend to agree with Steve. We have a responsibility
to try to keep the names on the mailing list up to date -- that is a
real issue. And we have a collective responsibility to keep this list
focused and pertinent, so that people are not inundated with weather
reports, flames, cute comments, and so on.

OTOH we obviously cannot be responsible for the mail reading habits of
participants. If we take as a given that this list is the forum
through which PAB will conduct its elections and otherwise make
decisions, then I think we can take as a given that voluntary
non-participation is not our problem.

Also, the problems with the maintenance of the mailing list are hard
to evaluate -- it would be good if someone like Rick or Bob Shaw or
Dave Crocker (someone who has actually dealt with it, in other words)
to quantify the problem, if possible.

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...