Re: PAB IMPORTANT: Straw Poll POC Composition

From: Javier SOLA (jsola@aui.es)
Date: Fri Dec 05 1997 - 13:21:25 PST

Antony,

I am sure that is are a large number of things that we can discuss in PAB.
But the point is that there is going to be a request for comments on a very
specific issue, the composition of POC, and that the RFC is going to be
issued very soon. If we, as PAB, want our opinions to be taken into
account, we must stick to the proposal, seeing in which way we want the
proposed "composition of POC" to be modified, including who elects them,
how, when... whatever we want, but staying on the subject.

If we want to talk about something different, fine, but let us be aware
that we are loosing our advising capability by not being able to respond
with advice on the specific subjects we are being asked.

A questionaire is a good way to go, but only if you ask the questions
straight, reflecting the proposal. Then, if you want, you can give your
answers, but you cannot include them in the questions.

>With all respect to you, remember that your job is to be the PAB rep on
>POC, not the POC rep on PAB.

My responsibility as a PAB member and PAB-excom member is to assure the
future of PAB as an advicing body. If, when consulted on a given subject,
we talk about something different, then our opinion will not be worth
anything. Consulting PAB will be just a *must do* for POC, but a waist of
time.

This question:

>1. Should the PAB and POC become one organization, with the POC as the
Executive Committee of PAB?
>[ ] Yes  [ ] No
>Comments:

is out of the blues, it is your own very personal interpretation of POC
members being elected by PAB.

Whatever the answers to this question might be, they do not at all help
reach a consensus. You can use the answers in whichever way you want to
mean anything, because it is completely out of context.

>2. If the PAB and POC are separate bodies, should the PAB reps on POC have
a duty to report to PAB on POC proceedings, formal or informal, unless
specifically requested not to do so by POC?
>[ ] Yes  [ ] No
>Comments:

The RFC will be on the composition of POC, not internal working rules for
PAB or POC. Independently of how important the issue is, this is not the
place nor the time for it.

Our goal with this excersise is to see if we want to modify the RFC that
POC will bring out. Non of this helps, it just creates confusion. Its
result is that PAB will not have an influence on the RFC.

We can discuss whatever we want later, but we have now a short term goal.

We will later have to formally respond to the RFC, but this will be the
next step.

Javier

Javier SOLA jsola@aui.es

Director - Asociacion de Usuarios de Internet - <http://www.aui.es>

PAB Observer - Policy Oversight Committee of the gTLD-MoU -
<http://www.gtld-mou.org>

Las opiniones expresadas son personales y pueden no coincidir con las de
otros miembros del Policy Oversight Committee.

Tel: 902-21.03.23 Fax: 91-344.14.25
c/ Alberto Alcocer, 46 Duplicado - 5º C
28016 MADRID