Re: PAB IMPORTANT: Straw Poll POC Composition

From: Antony Van Couvering (avc@netnamesusa.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 1997 - 12:20:34 PST

At 08:29 PM 12/5/97 +0100, Javier SOLA wrote:

Antony,

With all respect, the last thing that I want to do is to interfere for in a call for consensus, whoever informal, but I think that this one does not reflect the proposal that has been presented. It represents your own points of view in some places, and, as you are the Chairman and you are putting forward a POC proposal, I think that it is unacceptable.

<snip>

Again, with all respect, your job as Chairman is not to ask the questions that *you* think PAB should answer, but to try to reflect the proposal that has been presented to PAB and offer choices.

Javier,

With all respect to you, remember that your job is to be the PAB rep on POC, not the POC rep on PAB.

My job is to find consensus in the PAB.  We now have an extraordinary situation where the POC is asking us to come up with something for them outside of our normal procedures.  I urged the PAB to discuss it, and at your urging I prepared a questionnaire as way to communicate initial impressions to POC.

This proposal has serious implications for the PAB, and I do not feel that questions as to how the PAB is governed should be left out of this discussion.  If it goes into effect, how the PAB is run will change dramatically.  My opinions on this are put forward as the PAB Chair -- I don't feel that they're personal, for whatever that's worth.  You may not see it this way, but I am concerned here to do my duty to the PAB.

The PAB is charged by the gTLD-MoU with providing advice and recommendations to POC, and it is left to PAB to decide how that advice should be given.  It is certainly not charged with providing yes or no responses to POC proposals on demand, nor do I think it should, especially on such a critical question.  The POC, on the other hand, has no duty to accept the PAB recommendations, and it can certainly ignore what it deems to be irrelevant.

If POC had consulted with us from the beginning as it formulated this proposal, we might now have a document that everyone would be happy voting "yes" or "no" to, or at least be further down the road toward doing so.  If in fact this proposal is only the beginning, as you have suggested before, then we need to be able to look at the whole of the proposal and make comments on it as we wish, *in order to make our advice and recommendations known* to the POC.  That is our duty under the gTLD-MoU.

POC is in a damned hurry about this, and that's fine, but I'm not going to put this to the membership for an up or down vote to a greater extent than I have already done.  It would not be a responsible move, and it's not PAB's role as defined in the gTLD-MoU -- in my opinion.  The proposal is brand new to most of us, and we need to talk about it.

I think I have made it quite clear that I am asking members'
opinions on what seem to me to be the clear implications of this proposal -- for the gTLD-MoU process, and for the PAB also.  I have given every member a place for comments, and I hope they use it.  I have given every indication that these are not the questions that POC asked to be answered.

You might note that the responses so far have been (1) why do we need any sectorial representation at all, and (2) that functions of certain groups, not persons, should be appointed directly by such groups.  That is in addition to my comments which ask how the POC and PAB can be considered as separate bodies under this proposal.  You can see that there is a diversity of opinion here that is not reflected in the POC proposal.

My questionnaire is an attempt to bring out those opinions to the surface, in a form that is communicable to POC.  It may be that members see wider implications than I do, and I hope they express them.  I am not willing to make PAB a yes/no institution.  In my opinion, that would be an abdication of our responsibility.

Antony