Re: PAB Composition of POC

From: Peter Mott (peter@2day.net.nz)
Date: Mon Dec 08 1997 - 11:07:57 PST

The proposal says about the new seats:

      Include in POC representatives of the following groups:

1. Operators and service providers - (3 representatives)
2. Business organizations other than operators and service providers (2
representatives)
3. Consumers (1 representative)
4. At large members distributed geographically:
a. Americas - one
b. Europe, Africa and the Middle East - one
c. Asia-Pacific - one

1) Do you think that this distribution includes all the major players ?

It is a significant move towards providing opportunity for broader
representation. I say opportunity, because I think broader
representation must come from the participants in the process

Right now, participation is low. I am not sure that tinkering with
the seats at the round table will address this. For me its a marketing
issue.

2) Is it fair to the parties involved (constituencies) ? (excluding CORE
and ex-officio, in this question)

To fair, I think some of the existing organisations should loose one of
their
two seats.

2b) Do you think that geographical distribution could be attained in some
other way ?

If you are suggesting representation by organisations claiming to represent
others such as provider associations or governments, no.

The best representation is from those who have direct membership. For
instance
neither the government of NZ or the NZ assn of Internet providers represent
my company.

Neither would know where we are at.

3) Would you propose any changes ?

See below

4) Do you think that constituency representatives should only be voted by
PAB members that are part of that constituency or by all members of PAB ?

For the time being, I think it could stay as it is.

The proposal says that the following shall continue to be members of POC:

1. Two persons appointed by ISOC
2. Two persons appointed by IANA
3. Two persons appointed by IAB
4. Two persons appointed by CORE
5. One person appointed by INTA
6. One person appointed by WIPO (with non-voting status)
7. One person appointed by ITU (with non-voting status)

5) Do you agree with this ? Do you want to add a counter proposal ?

No. Reduce ISOC, IANA, IAB and CORE to one person, and make CORE
a non-voting seat.

6) Do you think that the overall composition of POC as a whole represents
all the interests in the Internet in a fair way (if such a thing exists) ?

No I dont, but I dont think this is a reasonable proposition. POC needs to
reflect the needs of the signatories only.

The measure of support for the gTLD-MoU is the indicator of how well
the interests of "the internet" are being served. Not the composition
of POC.

Regards,
     Peter Mott
     Chief Enthusiast