Re: PAB openes of the gtld/dns and internet governance process (fwd)

From: Sascha Ignjatovic (sascha@isoc.vienna.org)
Date: Sat Jan 17 1998 - 10:48:50 PST

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 22:20:04 +0100 (MET)
From: Sascha Ignjatovic <sascha@isoc.vienna.org>
To: Peter Mott <peter@2day.net.nz>
Cc: pab@gtld-mou.org
Subject: Re: PAB openes of the gtld/dns and internet governance process

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, Peter Mott wrote:

> I am not sure I understand what you are saying here Sascha. Can you say
> soem more please.

mr.mott
for me it is not the matter if we would continue with "closed"
discussion list and than "becomme profesional" and than "open" and
"start public relation" or have a read/open discussion list and
read/open working home page and "befor the eyes" of the public become
"perfect" but witht them together this time

> Well some sort of mechanism which has the specific purpose of
> attracting new participants would be good.

atracting new participants is not the only goal i would asumme

some working capabilitys of pab and useful contribution for the benefit of
the wholle gtld-mou and maybe internet governance at large
is what we should want to acomplish

> Any organisation needs a cohesive infrastructure and sense of
> unity to be able to do this.

ok i am "unit" now lets talk about the infrastructure :-)

what i was asking you is to offer some alternate model to a
open diuscussion list and open working home page as the basis
-if now we start to discuss for the next vuew monts wich kind of
"protecting" mechanismus we need to let only pab members read and
contribute to the pab working home page-we have seen that working
only on the basis of mailing list is to less it does not offer you
a "memory" and structure for discussing and desciding so well-
somebody proposes something than some replays are maded than somebody
else says something diferent than we forgot the first proposal in the main
time some third thing was sended in than we forgot the second thing and
so around so in the face if this problems it would be much easiyer
to offer "the sacred cow closenes"-in the reality you should not offer the
cow just the closenes :-) and to go on with the work we have to do no
matter if somebody is "watching" you or not

-it would be so easy to do it in this way

 we agree ok we would open the pab mailing list from NOW and
 we start to contribute proposals to a pab home page as the suporting
 tool for our mailing discussion and so slowly organize pab and the
 wholle matter of the gtld and give also so other people the chance to
 see what we are doing and giving him the chance to contribute and to join
 us if they like

-the other way is

 we descide we dont want to opne the mailing list for reading until
 we have "something to offer" than start the discussion how we should
 develope a basis for productive work - means how to develope a
 web based colaboration and working tool and how to restrict acess
 for reading and writing only for pab members and than work something
 out and than develope a strategy how we want to contact the public than
 than communicate with the pablic -descide what to let them see and know
 and waht not etc...

as you see the first way would be much easyer than the second model wich
will requayer some kind of "overmanagement" or "managing the management"

> regards
>
> Peter Mott
> Chief Enthusiast
> 2Day Internet Limited.
> gTLD-MoU Policy Oversight Committee observer

if you have diferent vuews or something practical to offer i would be
interesting to hear it-but this is not the gaol of this mail :-)
just to talk further we should come up to some concret resoults and
DO something-or would pab like to wait until the USG proposal of gtld
is released and than see what the usg have sayd what we should do ?

becouse you are pabs observer on poc could you or mr.sola ask poc what to
do should we wait and "do nothing" after the "sitation is more clear" or
should we continue to organize the pab and to come up with a recomendation
to poc future composition etc

thank you
sascha