Re: PAB UPDATE 2Day's World Domain News

From: Sascha Ignjatovic (sascha@isoc.vienna.org)
Date: Wed Jan 21 1998 - 16:08:43 PST

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Peter Mott wrote:

> Magaziner May Offer Fewer Domains
>
> Siding with trademark rights, federal Net czar may
> limit expansion of top-level domains...
> CMPnet 20 Jan 98

"Though White House recommendations are not legally
 binding on the unregulated Internet, the fear of government action is
 real. Not only is the White House interested
 in the issue, but Congress also has taken it up."12.january

"If the draft just gets torn to pieces and everyone thinks it's terrible,
 we'll start over again and take the criticisms and try to produce
 something better," he said in a Net Insider interview.
 If the draft with some modifications can eventually achieve
 consensus, then we'll go with that as a plan."20.january

"As a result, the White House likely will recommend the POC plan govern
 only the seven new domains it wants to add to the Internet. The
 IANA (www.iana.org), under the direction of a new, private-sector board,
 would control which future domains --and governing bodies -- could be
 added to the Internet." 12.january

you see there are many more vuews on this
so lets not scary too much what could hapen :-)

await the wrongest hope the best :-)

sascha
ps.those big international trade mark names could be not available
   only for their owners is this simple ?:-)

   or should we have until the end of the time only one domain
   becouse it is "easy" for the big companies :-)