Re: PAB pab-competence

From: Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Date: Mon Jan 26 1998 - 09:25:59 PST

On Mon, Jan 26, 1998 at 03:10:21PM +0100, Sascha Ignjatovic wrote:
> hi pab
>
> it would be great if we can manage also to become a "partner" in the
> recent developments at least to organize our "information retrieval" in
> such way that at least we have the minimum of information
> "whats going on and could hapen in the future"

Sascha, I don't know very much more than you about what's going on,
but I can say this: at the moment very intense negotiations are going
on in Washington, and the outcome of those negotiations may have a
profound effect on CORE/PAB/POC. Nothing is certain at the moment;
the possibilities range from death and destruction to total victory;
and they apparently fluctuate from day to day, though there may be
some convergence.

> the information the pab-as advisory body :-) gets from the recent
> developments are "really basic" not to say "primitive"

I honestly don't think there is any decisive information available, and
furthermore, the negotiations really are delicate.

> we haved no direct source of information what is going there in
> washington and relay on the source of news-agencys and more or less
> competent "report" from people who was there and was kind inaf to
> inform us or to "disinform" us.

The news agencies don't *know* any more than we do; however, they are
not as constrained about rumors and speculation -- some of which may
be true -- or false.

[...]

> so the pab need its own "direct information processing system" :-)
> where we can also have our own way and access to up to date and state of
> the art inforamtion and hapenings

You mean "spies"? :-) Yes, that would be nice. I would like to know
more about what is going on, as well.

> it is really funny that the pab gtld-discuss list was the first source for
> information also for the "real pab".
>
> NOT one -except mr.patrik from the official poc or core hase spend ONE
> word to pab about whats going on or what should go on !!
>
> if the gtld process and pab still exists :-) after "the report"
> we should definitely organize our self as "coplayer" and build up our
> own resources to acomplish our work - wich was give to us by the MOU
>
> i hope i am with this in the line of our chairman mr.crispin who was/is
> the proponent for a stronger pab-we see that we are not taken or
> considered seriously by the other parts of the gtld process becouse we
> have nothing serious to offer

Yes, I am a proponent of a stronger PAB. But, though the current
situation is difficult, I am also a realist.

> so we should change this and become a good partner and contribute also
> some useful work-even in this "dificult" time of "transition" to
> the next level in development for the internet dns

Hold on tight -- we may have quite a ride ahead of us, to reward us
for our patience. We may have to make some very rapid and decisive
changes in the near future. This is not something PAB is famous for,
but we can do it.

--
Kent Crispin, PAB Chair			"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...