Re: Motion to accept Re: PAB charter

From: Jim Dixon (jdd@vbc.net)
Date: Thu Feb 05 1998 - 00:31:40 PST

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> > > Go away, Jim. With help like yours, we really don't need Ira
> > > Magaziner.
> >
> > Perry, we ALL know how much help you gave the gTLD MOU.
>
> I was one of the people who created it. If you want to destroy it, why
> did you bother sign it?

As I have already said many times, I think that the gTLD MOU has much
of value about it. Unfortunately, it also has many flaws. Some of
these are in the documents of the MOUvement, some are organizational
or perhaps sociological, like your amazing ability to alienate people.

I don't have a lot of time for flame wars and will just filter you
if you don't start saying meaningful things.

> If you want to come here and say 'the MoU is dead',

<sigh> I actually said, "the gTLD MOU is dead in the water." This
nautical expression has already been explained.

But the gTLD MOU will be absolutely stone cold dead if something isn't
done to correct its glaring deficiencies well before the green paper's
comment period runs out.

> I think there are
> better uses of our time. So far as I can tell, in spite of the
> U.S. administrations's delusions of grandeur, the U.S. does not yet
> rule the world and the Internet DNS is not, even under U.S. law,
> something that Ira Magaziner has plenipotentiary power over. From what
> I can tell, the MoU is not dead. If you wish to spend your time trying
> to discourage us, maybe you could spend it elsewhere.

My objective is not to discourage people but to wake them up.

You may in your transcendent glory find the US government to be
insignificant. In fact it has ample power to take control of the
key resources of the Internet and may very well do so if there is a
confrontation between the Internet old guard and the government.
We don't need this.

What is needed at the moment is a concerted opposition to the Green
Paper, one that commands wide support. That opposition COULD
coalesce around the gTLD MOU -- if those involved are willing to
move quickly and make the changes necessary to open up the gTLD MOU
process.

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015