Re: PAB one vs. multiple registry administrations

From: Dave Crocker (dcrocker@brandenburg.com)
Date: Thu Feb 05 1998 - 12:52:01 PST

At 03:12 PM 2/5/98 -0500, Bob Helfant wrote:
.>I agree with Dave that we must address the reality of multiple Registries,
>but I was never clear on why they must all be not-for-pofit companies. I

There is a balance between consumer interests and provider interests.
Given the integral nature of domain names in the Internet operations, as
well as the frankly trivial nature of the required registration and
name/address mapping service, there is no real benefit in providing a
profit incentive for the providers.

Further, there very much IS an incentive to reduce the likelihood that a
consumer will need to change their domain name as a result of excessive
registration prices or poor registration customer support. NSI has
provided us will a really excellent track record to demonstrate the problem...

>works because the same companies own CORE that are Registrars. If they
>don't make their money on one side, they make it on the other. New

No. There is not money to be "made" by CORE. It's strictly cost recovery.
 The only way to a registrar can make a profit is through the front end
sales and service function, along with any value-added functions they wish
to provide.

As noted by others, this is the same as the way North American 800 number
handling is done.

d/
Dave Crocker +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting fax: +1 408 249 6205
675 Spruce Dr. dcrocker@brandenburg.com
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA http://www.brandenburg.com