PAB What's happening

From: Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Date: Wed Feb 11 1998 - 12:02:33 PST

On Wed, Feb 11, 1998 at 08:33:38AM -0800, Rick H. Wesson wrote:

> Kent,
> On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Kent Crispin wrote:
>
> > Lots of intense stuff is going on. Especially non-US members -- any
>
> What is "Lots of intense stuff?"
>
> enlighten us.

At this point I do know some things that I don't really feel I can
talk about -- it's not my information to disclose. In an ideal world
this wouldn't happen, but, as should be obvious to all, we are
definitely not in an ideal world. I can say I have been very busy :-)

In any case, most of what I know is sort of tactical information, and
doesn't affect overall strategy.

Some general comments:

Anyone who reads the Green Paper can see that it has no place for the
MoU, and very little place for CORE registrars. The GP is just a
proposal, and whether there is any legal authority by which its
proposals can be implemented is an open question. Furthermore, at the
very least it is subject to congressional oversight. If Clinton or
Gore get the impression that it is not doing the right thing, it will
be changed. It is pretty clear that Magaziner is in NSI/SAIC's
pocket, and won't change things unless he gets a pretty clear
indication that it is going to cost him to do so -- a headline like
"Ira Magaziner: The Man Who Destroyed the Internet" in the New York
Times would probably make him sit up and notice.

There is lots of negative reaction to the GP, especially
internationally, but it takes time to mobilize such reaction, and
organize it into something that has a hope of being effective. The
POC and others are working on that mobilization. In the context of
PAB the most effective thing we can do, in my estimation, is to
individually produce high quality comments and submit them, and, to
the extent we are individually capable, lobby our friends, relatives,
and countrymen to also register their problems with the GP. A strong
stand by IAB/IETF would be good, as well.

It is probably also a good idea to submit an official PAB response.
To that end I will produce a short draft this weekend, and submit it
to the list.

Note that too my knowledge the GP has not yet been published in the
Federal Register. There is a congressional adjournment from Feb 12
through Feb 24th, I believe, which has effects I don't understand on
the process.

Finally, I encourage you to all look at the current comments, at

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/

Note that if you submit comments on a light day, or early in the
morning, they will probably appear first. Also note that the comments
are html-ized, so any text formatting will be lost -- I noticed that
my comments on monopoly registrars were sort of munged.

--
Kent Crispin, PAB Chair			"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...