Re: PAB The Green Paper and competing registries

From: Ivan Pope (ivan@netnames.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 00:40:03 PST

Jim Dixon wrote:

>There are quite a few nTLDs in Europe and quite a range of policies.
>The successful nTLDs have lower prices and better policies.
>
>Europe is a nice little laboratory in this regard. The results say
>that competition works. The various nTLD registries are keenly
>aware of one another and information about different policies and
>prices is widely distributed. There is steady pressure on the
>registries to rationalize policies.

Jim wants to make an argument that there is competition between nTLDs. This
is plainly preposterous - no-one would take a .fr over a .uk on
price/service/performance etc.
I would say there is not _competition_ between nTLD registries in Europe,
but a communal learning from experience. This has led to better practice,
fairer policies and better service - in some countries. However, it has
precisely no effect whatsoever in countries who do not wish to offer a
better service. There is no competition between nTLD registries.

>Oh, this won't happen. Nominet has repeatedly suggested that they
>lower prices and had it rejected by their registrars. Were there a
>practical reason for prices to fall, like competition from NSI,
>the prices would plummet appropriately.

This is not true. Nominet has a duty to remain financially secure while
remaining non-profit. There have always been calls to lower the fee and
there has always been resistance to these calls. Nominet always took the
view that it was better to be prudent until more data was amassed on levels
of subscriptions.
I personally argued for lower fees at the start, but bowed to the majority
will.
I'm a Director of Nominet, so I should know!
Ivan