Re: PAB The Green Paper and competing registries

From: Jim Dixon (jdd@vbc.net)
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 02:42:01 PST

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Ivan Pope wrote:

> >There are quite a few nTLDs in Europe and quite a range of policies.
> >The successful nTLDs have lower prices and better policies.
> >
> >Europe is a nice little laboratory in this regard. The results say
> >that competition works. The various nTLD registries are keenly
> >aware of one another and information about different policies and
> >prices is widely distributed. There is steady pressure on the
> >registries to rationalize policies.
>
> Jim wants to make an argument that there is competition between nTLDs. This
> is plainly preposterous - no-one would take a .fr over a .uk on
> price/service/performance etc.

Our experience is that

* there was a clear shift from .COM into .UK when Nominet took
        over .UK

* there is minor but definite leakage between nTLDs.

However, what you are ignoring is what I actually said up there, in the
paragraph you quote and then ignore. In that paragraph I talk about
pressure on the nTLD registries that comes from information. People
look at how nearby nTLD registries are operated and then apply pressure
to bring the local registry up to standard.

> I would say there is not _competition_ between nTLD registries in Europe,
> but a communal learning from experience. This has led to better practice,
> fairer policies and better service - in some countries. However, it has
> precisely no effect whatsoever in countries who do not wish to offer a
> better service. There is no competition between nTLD registries.

Competition takes many forms. We are all aware of neighbors who
spent a large proportion of their time trying to make their garden
better than anyone else's.

> >Oh, this won't happen. Nominet has repeatedly suggested that they
> >lower prices and had it rejected by their registrars. Were there a
> >practical reason for prices to fall, like competition from NSI,
> >the prices would plummet appropriately.
>
> This is not true. Nominet has a duty to remain financially secure while
> remaining non-profit. There have always been calls to lower the fee and
> there has always been resistance to these calls. Nominet always took the
> view that it was better to be prudent until more data was amassed on levels
> of subscriptions.
> I personally argued for lower fees at the start, but bowed to the majority
> will.
> I'm a Director of Nominet, so I should know!

Well, Willie Black is the Managing Director of Nominet, so he should
know too ...

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015