Re: PAB some policy advising: Arts

From: William Allen Simpson (wsimpson@greendragon.com)
Date: Tue Feb 24 1998 - 16:10:55 PST

On multiple registrations of the same or similar name:

The main reasons for multiple registrations in the past has been lack of
enforcement of the basic RFC-1591 requirements for each TLD by NSI, and
rampant name speculation by pirates.

We really do not need diarrhea.arts, too.

If there are multiple registrations, then the call for millions of TLDs
is justified -- everyone would register a TLD, and we should simply
abandon trying to have any gTLDs.

I cannot see why your example would want to register in .arts, as the
primary business is not arts. The award name might be registered
instead. But we have long argued about using the DNS as a directory
service (it is not). And the URLs you cite serve the desired purpose.

However, one of the PAB posters seems to think that folks will migrate
between TLDs, and cites .com to .uk (without any actual examples). I am
sceptical.

But, just in case folks actually want to migrate and will be temporarily
registered in more than one place, or there are seriously divergent
business interests under the same administration, we really should have
an escape clause.

How about:

      2. The same or similar name shall not be registered by the same
         organization in any other zone of the DNS (such as under a
         country TLD), unless an individual exception is granted under
         the registration appeal process (described below).

> From: Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
> Second, I have a problem with section A. 2
> > 2. The same or similar name shall not be registered by the same
> > organization in any other zone of the DNS (such as under a
> > country TLD).
> Possibly requiring a statement from the applicant justifying
> a second (or third ..) registration could be substituted?
> I realize subjective requirements are a hazard but "only one
> domain name" hasn't flown to well in the real world.

WSimpson@UMich.edu
    Key fingerprint = 17 40 5E 67 15 6F 31 26 DD 0D B9 9B 6A 15 2C 32