PAB NSI comments (thanks to Bob Shaw)

From: Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Date: Wed Mar 25 1998 - 09:17:36 PST

Here's an interesting document from NSI -- I didn't see it on the
NTIA website, and I looked through all the submissions -- maybe I
missed it...

http://www.netsol.com/policy/rfc32398.html

Here's an interesting quote:

  The most critical operational issue facing the Internet today is the
  control, robustness and security of the root system. NSI received
  written instruction from NSF on October 2, 1997 to accept direction
  only from the NSF under the Cooperative Agreement relative to the
  management of the "A" root server. Some operators of the other root
  servers do not acknowledge the NSF's authority. Without clear
  authority and responsibility, the transition will be difficult to
  achieve and risk of operational failure will increase. NSI
  recommends that the U. S. government publicly assert its authority
  over the root zone system in the final version of the Green Paper.

Here's another:

  To facilitate the initial implementation of the non-profit company
  (hereinafter referred to as "NPC") proposed in the Green Paper to
  handle all Internet coordination functions, NSI recommends the
  creation of a U. S. government-appointed Transition Board. This
  Transition Board, rather than the Internet Assigned Numbers
  Authority (IANA), should perform a number of preliminary functions
  including setting the qualifications and processes for establishing
  the new registries.

--
Kent Crispin, PAB Chair			"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...