Re: PAB after comments ?

From: Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Date: Wed Mar 25 1998 - 11:15:59 PST

On Wed, Mar 25, 1998 at 05:53:06PM +0100, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
> Hi, Sascha,
>
> You wrote:
>
> > any official information on this or any "insiders" information out
> > there ? :-)
> >
> I hope we will get some on the list.
> In the meantime, let me give you my personal opinion.
>
> 1) The contract with NSI will be extended for 6 months (until 30.
> September).

I think so too.

> 2) The GP will hibernate (Ira will take some time to review the comments,
> will make generic statements like: "Very interesting suggestions from
> everybody", and so on, but no outcome in the short term).

Sounds probabl.

> 3) The reorganization of IANA will go on. The new IANA will try to follow
> most of the indications of the Green Paper, and has to fight for keeping the
> authority on the Root Servers (possibly, this time, with direct control of
> the A-Root).
>
> I believe that the success of IANA in doing this is the necessary condition
> for progressing with the gTLD-MoU. In other words, the next battle is the
> recognition of IANA: if this doesn't happen, our chances to be successful
> are very low.

Agreed. I worry that Magaziner may pull the same stunt with Postel
that he did with the MoU group -- leave things in limbo as long as
possible, then pull a fast one by going completely around IANA.

--
Kent Crispin, PAB Chair			"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...