Re: PAB endorsement of IANA proposals

From: Javier SOLA (jsola@aui.es)
Date: Sun Aug 30 1998 - 07:18:02 PDT

Mark,

I think that the IFWP process has been very positive. In each meeting it
has brough people together who had never sat together before (with people
from their own region) to debate about the Internet. Many of this people
will now stick together for other issues.

It has also included a number of people (several of which had their trips
paid by NSi) who think that they can get a private TLD out of this process,
or that they can have a power trip by becoming directors of the New IANA if
they can incorporate it themselves. Even if the lastest are the less...
they sure make a lot of noise.. and at this point have a strong power in
the IFWP SC, as mainstream organisations have lost interest.

Tamar spoke at Geneva to avoid having issues being voted in the plenary, so
that consensus reached in small break-out session would remain that...
consensus reached in small break-out sessions... In spite of that, the
third iteration of the IANA bylaws has included as much of this consensus
as has been possible... and this includes ideas from NSi and all the other
"groups".

IANA (the regulator body of the Internet Community) has nothing to
negotiate with NSi (an entity that needs to be regulated). The White Paper
clearly says that the USG will negotiate with NSi. IANA should receive a
USG/NSi deal that does not tie its hands...

There might be a few points to be pulished in the third iterations... but I
assure you that they reflect consensus very well, something that cannot be
said of NSi's PR bylaws.

I will propose soon a support note that points some things that might be
included in the bylaws, in spite of the fact that I feel very confortable
with the current version.

Javier

At 11:32 29/08/98 +0100, Mark Measday wrote:
>Javier,
>
>Agree absolutely with your analysis, but don't agree with the
>disenfranchisement of all the people the IFWP brought on board. It's poor
>diplomacy to be rude to all the people who turned up in Singapore, Buenos
Aires
>and Geneva, many of whom are international stakeholders or who represent
>international stakeholders of considerable weight in the long term.
>
>If there is a process which is perceived to be fair, open and honest in which
>IANA participates it will have costs to IANA in terms of accommodating itself
>to a new, broader constituency. If they can't agree to agree it puts all the
>people who built the original structure in this area at risk and you end up
>with a group of disaffected stakeholders.
>
>I'm not suggesting you shouldn't endorse IANA's positive steps, but that you
>should endorse them to negotiate the necessary reasoned solution within the
>original timeline with the interested parties and cover the exclusionary
nature
>of sticking within the original managerial ISOC/IETF/IAB/RIR orbit by
inviting
>a representative delegate of the opposite view. You could probably get
Vladimir