Re: PAB Proposal for support of IANA.

From: Javier SOLA (jsola@aui.es)
Date: Sun Aug 30 1998 - 14:01:32 PDT

Michael,

>On behalf of the Electronic Commerce Forum e.V., which is a signatory to
>the gTLD MoU and of which I am the chairman, I have to disagree.

Of course you have the right to... but what is it exactly you disagree with ?

>To avoid, what you characterized as "making noise" in your offending mail
>regarding those within the IFWP Steering Committee, which are supporting
>the meeting which is to be organized by the Berkman Center (and this
>includes me, my association, and the European Internet Service Providers
>Association), I refrain from posting my disagreement to the PAB list.

You don't have to. My response does come to the list in which the message
was originated (and from which it should have never left).

>To make this very clear, however: I very well understand the role of IANA
>and support any reasonable articles and bylaws. Nevertheless, I stick to
>what I posted to the IFWP-SC's list. A further meeting appears necessary as
>the proposals for articles and bylaws published by

>* IANA

I have not read here that you object to anything in those bylaws as
contrary to consensus.

>* NSI (the latter cannot be ignored only because it has been published by
>what you obviously consider to be the devil's advocate or the devil itself)

No, just a company that has to defend its private economical interests,
which, I find, are quite different from those of the rest of the Internet
Community. That is why, in a great PR move they proposed something that
seemed to agree with consensus while:

- Allowing the board to be captured by one single company (by becoming a
proxy to single user's votes.. guess who has over 2.000.000 of these
customers and could reach an agreement with them...).
- Making the Names council a voluntary work group, of ANY size, making sure
that no policy would ever be made by this council that could bother them.
- Asking for 50% of a very large membership as quorum to change this bylaws
(impossible to change bylaws).

But consensus in Buenos Aires now has it that the above are not acceptable.
There is no reason why the Internet Community should make an exception for
the economical interests of one single company.

>* the consensus reached in the previous IFWP-conferences,

There is no third set of bylaws. We have not produced such a thing and we
will not do it, as it is not in the scope of the mandate of the IFWP.

>do not yet converge to a sufficient extent.

Of course not. IANA cannot write bylaws to defend NSi's economical
interests, and the IFWP's bylaws do not exist (that I know of).

Can you name where the IANA bylaws contradict IFWP consensus ?

>Btw. of closing let me point out this as well: Given this email, there is
>of course no longer "unanimous support" for your proposal.

I did not expect it... but in PAB we tend to work on consensus...

Javier