Re: PAB New Draft Bylaws

From: J. William Semich (NIC JWS7) (bsemich@users.org)
Date: Fri Sep 18 1998 - 04:55:32 PDT

ello Kent and fellow PABers;

I think it is a good idea to put PAB forward as the starting point for
the Names Support Organization, but I also think it would be a good idea
to approach the ccTLD group (WWTLD) to ask it to join in and become part
of that initial organization right off the bat. In fact, the draft
bylaws specifically mention "registries" as a required component of the
Organization.

It would thus be a more realistic course to do so, and could generate
more good will and support, than going it alone and then asking others
to join in the PAB version of the game after the fact.

We already have some experience with that approach from the ccTLD
managers point of view (when it voted to set itself at INET98 as the
natural starting point for the Names Supporting Organization) and I
recall PAB/POC/CORE was a bit miffed at such self agrandizement.

So why not _start_ the game as more than one group. Jon Postel is
himself a member of WWTLD, and you might ask his opinion, although I'd
suggest the first points of contact would be Prof. Kilnam Chon (.kr
admin for over a decade, chairman of WWTLD, and cofounder of APTLD) as
well as, perhaps, Faye Howard of CENTRE and Oscar Robles of LATLD.

Feedback?

Bill Semich (NIC-JWS7)
bsemich@mail.nu
Internet Users Society - Niue