Re: PAB Critics Decry New Net Government

From: Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Date: Sun Oct 11 1998 - 11:13:19 PDT

PAB:

Comments received by NTIA are posted at
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/proposals/comments/comments.html

If you check out those comments you will find a large number of
negative comments. The largest volume of these are garbage from the
usual suspects -- Jeff Williams has posted his own version of NewCorp
bylaws, for example. A couple are from serious players, notably, INTA
and CABASE, and their comments merit a careful read. My opinion
is that they have quite valid concerns, but that they can be
addressed by the Interim Board.

There is no time to do an "official" PAB response, but I am
submitting my personal comments in support of ICANN, and I encourage
you all to do the same. The url for instructions for submitting is
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/efiling-dns.htm; the email
address is dnspolicy@ntia.doc.gov. The time is very short -- they
only accept comments until Tuesday, the 13th, which simply isn't
enough to prepare thoughtful comments. But short notes supporting
ICANN would probably be helpful.

The negative consequence of the ICANN proposal not being accepted is
further delay. Further delay is bad for the economic health of CORE,
and thus bad for the development of competition in the domain name
system. So I hope that you will all send supporting notes to NTIA as
quickly as possible.

Thanks

Kent

--
Kent Crispin, PAB Chair			"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...