Re: PAB [Fwd: DNSO Important update: The "Merged" Draft]

From: William Allen Simpson (wsimpson@greendragon.com)
Date: Wed Jan 27 1999 - 22:21:56 PST

Taking the comments out of order:

> From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
> Incidentally, the current order of the category list is
> alphabetical. That is because of a comment by business interests

Oh. I was swapping the order to make the definitions of abbreviations
in the correct order. For example, TLD is currently defined in 5 but
used in 4. I supposed that alphabetical is OK, it just requires more
rewrite of the text. (The current text _does_ need some revision.)

> I have a concern about the apparent circularity of the registrar
> definition.

I don't see the circularity. I think we agree that we don't like the
current text which requires a contractual relationship with a registry.

The replacement changes that to update priviledges of the zone file, and
authorization by ICANN. More text?

> On Wed, Jan 27, 1999 at 05:43:44PM +0000, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> > Based on the wording suggestions so far today, here's what I have:
> >
> > Current:
> > 4. Registrars: a DNSO member who is a registrar of
> > generic/global or country-code TLDs (defined as an entity with a
> > direct contractual relationship with a registry as defined
> > below),
> >
> > 5. Registries: a DNSO member who is a DNS Top Level Domain
> > ("TLD") registry (defined as an entity with write authority to a
> > zone referenced by a TLD),
> >
> > Replacement:
> > 2. Registries: a DNSO member who is a DNS Top Level Domain ("TLD")
> > registry, defined as an entity that regularly publishes the
> > authoritative zone file for the TLD zones which have been delegated
> > to it by {ICANN};
> >
> > 3. Registrars: a DNSO member who is a registrar of generic/global
> > or country-code TLDs, defined as an entity authorized by {ICANN}
> > with direct update priviledges for a TLD registry zone file as
> > defined above;

WSimpson@UMich.edu
    Key fingerprint = 17 40 5E 67 15 6F 31 26 DD 0D B9 9B 6A 15 2C 32