Re: PAB A frenzie of preemptive exclusions.

From: Robert F. Connelly (rconnell@psi-japan.com)
Date: Wed May 12 1999 - 05:31:12 PDT

At 12:21 PM 12-05-99 +0200, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>At 09:50 04.05.99 +0900, Robert F. Connelly wrote:
>>Dear Colleagues:
>>
>>While I am totally in favour of the preemptive exclusions of famous
>>trademarks and am sympathetic with the same for "well known trademarks" (a
>>different classification), I wonder whether 1. WIPO already has assembled
>>the list or 2. INTA has such a list or 3. WIPO is ready for a flood of
>>applications?
>
>Bob,
>(deleting the CCs to lists that I'm not a member of)
>why are you in favour of the preemptive exclusions of famous trademarks,
>given that it is not likely that any trademark PSI owns will make the
>criteria for "famous" (whatever they are)?
>
>See also my comments at http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/wiponote.html
>
>(I'm (ab)using this list because it happens to be the first one where I
>came across a named person who is "totally in favour" of the famous-marks
>exclusion mechanism...if you like, we can move this to private email or
>the wipo-discuss list..)

Dear Harald:

Nice to hear from you after these many years.

I should add the caveat that a person who wants one of those excluded names
should be able to apply and provide the rationale for why he should be an
exception.

However, if he's looking for kodak.nom, I think me may be wasting his time.

Personal regards,
BobC