Re: PAB member contribution to Washington D.C. discussions

Dave Crocker (dcrocker@brandenburg.com)
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 11:13:05 -0800

At 10:49 AM 1/26/98 -0800, Rick H. Wesson wrote:
>Whom are they lisening to, and who is lobbying against the gTLD-MoU.
>please be specific and enumerate even the ones we know about. refresh our
>memory.

Well there is, of course, NSI. They are owned by SAIC and SAIC is very,
very adept at Washington lobbying.

The trademark policing concerns which create pressure to have the smallest
number of additional TLDs (such as 1) are being strongly advocated by IBM
and ATT.

Then there is a collection of folk who seem primarily to have either
self-serving or negative agendas. That is, they are looking to make a name
for themselves or they seem to have an axe to grind. They have been quite
visible in the media, as well as on these lists. You all can name them as
easily as I.

Then there are a few who believe that there should be commercial,
proprietary TLDs, so that they can cash in the way NSI has been. Again,
these people have been highly vocal.

I'm refraining from citing individuals since that just leads to ad hominem
attacks.

d/
Dave Crocker +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting fax: +1 408 249 6205
675 Spruce Dr. dcrocker@brandenburg.com
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA http://www.brandenburg.com