Re: PAB New draft of the charter, and other stuff

Sascha Ignjatovic (sascha@isoc.vienna.org)
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 19:30:08 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Kent Crispin wrote:

> I am sending a letter to Jim informing him of this policy.

thank you for encouraging him/ispa to join

> This event underscores the fact that we *desperately* need a corporate
> memory, in the form of a useful web page.

agree on it

> Vivian, according to the draft charter we are working under, is in
> charge of the web page. She has begun work on it, and Rick has
> installed an email archive.

> Vivian is exploring beaches in the Virgin Islands at this moment, on
> vacation. Before she left I spoke to her about what we can do to
> improve our web presence. We concluded the obvious, that we need
> content -- good, up-to-date content. Perhaps not-so-obvious, we
> agreed that it would be very good if there were several people
> involved that could work with her to get that content together --
> sort of a "web page working group". There's a lot of work involved
> in doing a first-class web site, and it certainly would be nice if we
> had a first class web site.

agree on it this work can not be done only by one person specialy the
editorial work

> So if you have ideas, or real content, or can help put together some
> of the stuff mentioned in the charter, please contact Vivian, when
> she gets back.

there are tow ways to go
-quality content production
-on the fly working content production as basis for our daily work

what i would see useful if posible is to have a home page where this
isue
-or generating a quolity pab home page is a matter for discusion
and can be coverde as in progress over this home page

but the recent sitaution makes diferent requayerments on the pab
home page for the moment becouse hase to be more official
-otherwise it would be a "revolution" how work and pablic relation is done

i think it would become a something between official public and in
progress intern working home page

> I will post this draft within the next 24 hours -- maybe it will
> generate some discussion.

dont hurry :-) there is already a confusion what to do or where to go ;-)

> Some general comments about our situation:
>
> I am not a party to any of the negotiations or back room conferences
> with Magaziner, and it may be that the POC only gets limited access,
> as well -- it's hard to tell, and it is probably even hard for the POC
> to tell.

we should definitely orientate our self on poc this means we need some
information going from poc to pab -mr javier sola is i am shure working
hard to suport poc to do the nechst step but until now we have not heard
ANYTHING from him altough he represents the pab in the poc

either there wuld be soon a first official statement of the poc or
we should request mr.mott and mr.sola to report to us what is going on in
poc discussion list or whan we can expect a "orientation statement"
this is very importend

> Thus it is very important to try to cause changes to the GP -- it is a
> public document, open for comment, and, in theory, open to change.
> There will be an open comment period, of relatively short duration,
> and it is open now. While I think Magaziner is in NSI's pocket, a
> large number of negative comments gives political amunition, and we
> will need all the amunition we can muster. Therefore, I strongly
> urge all of you to really study this issue, and submit strong, cogent
> comments.

again it would be much easyser at least for me to have a "official" or
"semi-official"-means not yet "finished" statement from the leading people
in the process speack isoc iana so that we can orient our self on it

> Finally, please remember: in dim times like these it is easy to lose
> energy and drift. Sometimes the the tide runs against you. I view it
> as a good opportunity to get our house in order, and our thinking
> straight. We have a good cause; we aren't presenting it well. We
> must do a better job, and we must do it with energy. We must think
> through our position carefully, analyze why opposing views are
> popular, and deal with it.

thanks for energizing us
i have no intent to give "it up" :-)

> I hope to see some volunteers for the web stuff soon...

at least i would be a active "advisor" :-)

thank you
sascha