Re: PAB New draft of the charter, and other stuff

Patrik Faltstrom (paf@swip.net)
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 23:26:31 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Peter Mott wrote:

> >we should definitely orientate our self on poc this means we need some
> >information going from poc to pab -mr javier sola is i am shure working
> >hard to suport poc to do the nechst step but until now we have not heard
> >ANYTHING from him altough he represents the pab in the poc
>
> Having been on the POC list for a couple of months and listened to three
> conference calls, I think I can safely say that there is nothing I can
> report either.
>
> This is because:-
>
> a) We are observers, so we watch and listen, rather than part of decision
> making process
> b) I have not seen any decision making on the list or conference calls
>
> These forums seem limited to discussions and a way of reflecting personal
> comments. If any decisions are being made, they are occuring elsewhere.

This is because your observations are absolutely correct. POC does not
make descisions but after a serious round of RFCs, or when deciding of
publishing an RFC, or when talking about really urgent things like the
IF we should have a policy when talking about the round robin method used
in the SRS software or not.

The role of POC is not to make descisions, but to be the committee that
sees that CORE does only do things according to what PAB wants, and
according to the papers written.

So, the descisions are few, and the ones we have had to do has been
tactics before meeting with for example mr Magaziner, and that was done
with the POC members geographically on site, which included Javier, but
not Peter unfortunately. This is still though tactics and nothing more.
Tactics that according to what we in POC thinks, will lead things towards
the goal of the charter of ours.

But, very few things are handled in POC. You can see on the "open" RFCs
what issues I mean -- composition of POC and the 3rd revised ACP paper.

> >either there wuld be soon a first official statement of the poc or
> >we should request mr.mott and mr.sola to report to us what is going on in
> >poc discussion list or whan we can expect a "orientation statement"
> >this is very importend
>
> There has been no traffic on the POC list about the USG green paper. There
> has been some discussion regarding 'round robin' policy for CORE registry.
> Nothing else.
>
> There does seem to be a 24 hour delay on message reception at times, so
> maybe there is some stuff going on now, but from where I sit, POC has not
> yet reacted to USG.

True that there have not been any discussion on the POC list at all about
the green paper. I think all of us have had weekend, read the paper
hundreds of times each one of us -- including the articles that have been
in the press. I and Rob have been working with Leni on the round robin
procedures, and Glenn was at my place in Stockholm tonight where we
discussed the issues.

Patrik