Re: Motion to accept Re: PAB charter

Ron Fitzherbert (ron@penguin.net)
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 12:35:32 -0500 (EST)

Fine, I'll "support" this request AS LONG AS the ISOC also gets as many
votes as the members it represents, which depending on your view of the
world is 5,000 or 40,000,000 -- then of course every other representative
organization should get the same.

If EuroISPA really wants to have the ability to "control" then they need
to sign 500 copies of the MOU and appoint 500 DIFFERENT people -- under
current "rules" that would be fine and they can vote as a "block" -- BUT,
if that happens I'd give POC/CORE about 5 minutes to modify things to
eliminate the PAB.

This is not about voting power it is about getting the most PEOPLE
together to decide on things, NOT the most organizations.

Ron

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Jim Dixon wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
> > > However, I do not agree with you here(that Jim is right). I do agree
> > > that PAB needs more members and new blood but I don't agree that we
> > > should agree to let one person represent 500 members. At the end of
> > > day, we don't get much new blood this way.
> >
> > Indeed.
> >
> > Jim is basically requesting increased personal power.
> >
> > I will remind people that Joseph Stalin demanded a seat in the
> > U.N. for every one of the USSR's components (Russia, Ukraine, etc.) --
> > of course people easily saw through that. Jim is demanding a seat for
> > every member of his EuroISPA organization. Well, if they want seats,
> > let them join. All they have to do is fax a signature. Seems cheap to
> > me.
>
> It is much more productive to talk about the real issues than phoney
> ones.
>
> For the Nth time, the proposition is: EuroISPA will urge its members
> to join [fax in a signature] if two conditions are met:
>
> [1] each can appoint whoever they wish as their representative and
>
> [2] each designated representative will have as many votes, where
> votes are relevant, as there are organizations appointing him or
> her as their representative.
>
> For example, if N members of ECO sign the gTLD MOU and designate
> Michael Schneider as their representative, then Michael Schneider
> will have N votes in situations where voting is relevant.
>
> EuroISPA has nine member associations. I would expect that if we
> really push hard, we might get a significant part of each association
> to sign; something in the 20-60% region. Of these some would choose
> to represent themselves; more (70% ?) would choose a common
> representative. Since I am the person on the ISPA UK Council most
> knowledgeable in this area, I would probably be asked to act as
> ISPA UK's default representative. If I accepted, and if my
> guesstimates are correct, I might act as representative for 12-36 UK
> organizations out of ISPA UK's 83 or so members.
>
> I cite these numbers just to make it clear what the possible results
> of an agreement on this issue would be.
>
> What we are asking for is not unusual or unreasonable. You want (or
> should want!) support for the gTLD MOU.. We can deliver some degree
> of support.
>
> I expect that an agreement on this issue would bring in a small
> flurry of signatures from the UK, followed, after a short delay,
> by support from other European countries as people saw how things
> developed. The infusion of new blood would doubtless scrap a good
> deal of what you are working on to concentrate efforts on developing
> support from elsewhere, most importantly from North America.
>
> This is what is really important: support. You need the support of
> thousands of organizations. In order to get that support, you must
> re-engineer the PAB so that it can attract thousands of members and
> operate effectively with thousands of members.

> [...]

---------------- Ronald J. Fitzherbert, President ---------------
Flying Penguin Productions Limited
Arlington, Virginia & Austin, Texas (USA)