Re: PAB one vs. multiple registry administrations

Bob Helfant (bhelfant@globecomm.com)
Thu, 05 Feb 1998 15:12:32 -0500

At 11:34 AM 2/5/98 -0800, Dave Crocker wrote:
>Folks,
>
>This issue is one of the most important and most difficult for us to
>discuss, with respect to the Green Paper. The IAHC was started on the
>basis of developing enhancements that would encompass com/net/org and all
>additional TLDs not related to country codes. We simply did not see a need
>for multiple registries but we very much did see the kinds of problems that
>have just been reviewed on this list.

I agree with Dave that we must address the reality of multiple Registries,
but I was never clear on why they must all be not-for-pofit companies. I
believe that allowing a company to make money is what makes them work hard
to be competitive in service and price. I know that the CORE model is a
non-profit company supported by the Registrars who are profit based. This
works because the same companies own CORE that are Registrars. If they
don't make their money on one side, they make it on the other. New
Registries will not be owned by all the Registrars so they will have a need
to be allowed to try and make money and compete with the other Registries.

Bob Helfant