Re: PAB be constructive.

John Charles Broomfield (jbroom@outremer.com)
Fri, 06 Feb 1998 10:35:06 -0400

Jim Dixon wrote:
(...)
> I do get the impression that this list is used for the one-way transmission
> of information: everyone writes, no one reads. As I have now said many
> times ...

Ok, so just in case you thought nobody was reading your proposals:

(...)
> The proposal is that
>
> [1] signatories be allowed to appoint whoever they wish as
> representative (possibly with the usual restrictions against
> criminals, etc) and
>
> [2] where a person represents more than one signatory, that person
> should have the corresponding number of votes.

As to your proposal [1] there is no problem with it. PAB as it is
already
has reps freely appointed by signatories to the gTLD, so I'm a bit lost
as
why you're "proposing" this (it's there already!).
As to your proposal [2], it has already been discussed (yes, DISCUSSED)
before in PAB with arguments in favour and arguments against [*see
below]
and the consensus (with quite a few participants voicing their
arguments),
was that it was one voice=one vote. I think I was the only voice
opposing
this. Now however this proposal has been beaten into the ground and you
are the ONLY supporter of it. Nobody else inside PAB has voiced any
support for it. Don't you agree that there is consensus against this
proposal? Should you feel that circumstances change in the future, you
can
of course freely bring it up again...
Of course it is the task of the chair to judge consensus, but I don't
think
it's that difficult in this case ;) [and come on Jim, you should be able
to see it yourself that it doesn't even merit a call for votes, ie 10
dissenting opinions]

[*from above]
again this
seems to be a good reason for publishing via some searchable means past
submissions to the PAB list for clarity amongst other things. PD Jim,
I have a personal archive of all PAB messages which is 17Mb in size.
compression should work wonders. Up for grabs if you want it. I don't
guarantee that only PAB messages are there, nor do I guarantee they are
all there. I may have crossed saved a few from gtld-discuss and
vice-versa,
plus have trashed a few "test" messages, etc... Dunno what others may
think
of me giving that away, but after all people have been selectively
giving
away damaging messages whenever they felt like it, so giving the whole
lot to a PAB *MEMBER* doesn't look too bad...

Yours, John Broomfield.