Re: PAB white paper is out

Perry E. Metzger (perry@piermont.com)
Mon, 08 Jun 1998 11:08:56 -0400

Bob Helfant writes:
> You would lead us all down the path again? Why not let IANA do its new job
> and climb aboard when they make the new rules.

Jon Postel isn't some mythic god who sits atop olympus. To many of us,
he's a person we have known for many years. Obviously, decisions
aren't going to be made in a vacuum.

Bob, I realize that you only have a financial interest here and barely
care about the bigger issues, but some of us are interested in
actually making sure that the results of this process are a governance
structure for the net that we can live with.

We spent a great deal of time, energy and money into doing more or
less what the white paper has asked for -- having the self governance
organs of the net come up with a reasonable organization for managing
the DNS. Given that we have a ready-made solution available, why
should we only allow NSI and others to beat Jon into submission when
we can intervene and present a reasonable and well structured solution
that has already gone through extensive industry examination?

> It would cost so much less in money and time and if history is any
> teacher, have the same result.

If you don't want in, by all means, feel free not to interfere.

Perry