Re: PAB white paper is out

Bob Helfant (bhelfant@globecomm.com)
Mon, 08 Jun 1998 16:47:13 -0400

At 11:08 AM 6/8/98 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>Bob Helfant writes:
>> You would lead us all down the path again? Why not let IANA do its new job
>> and climb aboard when they make the new rules.
>
>Bob, I realize that you only have a financial interest here and barely
>care about the bigger issues, but some of us are interested in
>actually making sure that the results of this process are a governance
>structure for the net that we can live with.

The finacial interest is what is driving the whole ball of wax. This is
not a cult anymore.

>We spent a great deal of time, energy and money into doing more or
>less what the white paper has asked for -- having the self governance
>organs of the net come up with a reasonable organization for managing
>the DNS. Given that we have a ready-made solution available, why
>should we only allow NSI and others to beat Jon into submission when
>we can intervene and present a reasonable and well structured solution
>that has already gone through extensive industry examination?

You haven't been part of CORE so you won't be among the small group who
will be asked to finance this effort. I suggest that PAB, POC and CORE
chip in equal amounts of money to pay for the next round of lobbying and PR.

>> It would cost so much less in money and time and if history is any
>> teacher, have the same result.
>
>If you don't want in, by all means, feel free not to interfere.

I have spent much money and time with the rest of CORE all year. Thank you
for your generous invitiation not to interfere.

Bob Helfant