Re: DNSO / Individual v. Corporate Voting

Michael Sondow (msondow@iciiu.org)
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:08:36 -0500

Roberto Gaetano a écrit:

> Bret,
>
> You raise an interesting issue:
>
> > INDIVIDUAL V. CORPORATE VOTING.
> >
> > I was pleased to see movement toward an open membership, with individuals
> > included with corporations and associations. As far as voting is
> > concerned, was the problem of individual voting addressed? Particularly,
> > what happens if a large organization enlists each of its employees to
> > participate and vote separately? Does this lead to the "capture" problem
> > that we are trying to avoid?
> >
> > If so, does this mean that we should place some restrictions on an
> > individual's right to vote on policy issues if his or her employer is an
> > interested party?
> >
> Personally, I disagree.
> If I am a member as an individual, my rights of vote are independent of
> those of my employer (or any other organization that I may belong to, and
> that is also a DNSO Member).
> I may well disagree with my employer, and vote in a different way.
>
> > Or can we simply address this concern by having a
> > moderate fee on membership (one that is not onerous for an individual,
> > but would become onerous to a corporation if it paid for numerous
> > memberships)?
> >
> I would in any case assume a non-free membership, even for individuals.
> And this independently from the potential problem of capture.
>
> Roberto

Wouldn't it be best to have a separate constituency for individual
members? If they are mixed in with corporate (profit & non-profit)
members, there will always be conflicts and problems about numbers of
votes, capture, etc. Having a separate constitutency for individuals
might reduce some of these problems, and keep down the conflicts between
reps of the individuals and reps of their corporations or associations.