Re: DNSO / Individual v. Corporate Voting

Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 07:22:53 -0800

On Mon, Nov 30, 1998 at 04:08:36AM -0500, Michael Sondow wrote:

> Wouldn't it be best to have a separate constituency for individual
> members? If they are mixed in with corporate (profit & non-profit)
> members, there will always be conflicts and problems about numbers of
> votes, capture, etc. Having a separate constitutency for individuals
> might reduce some of these problems, and keep down the conflicts between
> reps of the individuals and reps of their corporations or associations.

It seems to me that as things are currently constituted, for all
practical purposes there is a separate constituency for individual
members. Recall that the criteria for the "general business"
constituency was expanded to include non-profits and other
organizations, while at the same time lowering the membership fee.

Presuming that there are many individual members, then, the
organizations that join the At-Large would be in a substantial
minority, and would probably be motivated to move to the other
constituency quickly, in any case -- there probably would be little
significant difference in fees.

So, from a practical standpoint, I don't think it makes any
difference, and therefore (in my opinion) it is not worth trying to
change things.

--
Kent Crispin, PAB Chair			"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...