Re: [ifwp] Re: DNSO documents

Bret Fausett (baf@fausett.com)
Thu, 17 Dec 98 22:24:10 -0500

Kent Crispin wrote:
>The bylaws are (I believe) *deliberately* vague on this point.
>Postel, Sims, and Co explicitly did not want to prejudge the
>structure of the SOs.

So then let's play this out. Assuming that dnso.org elects not to
incorporate and succeeds in its goal of receiving ICANN recognition as
the DNSO, what then? What is the legal status of the DNSO? Is it a formal
part of ICANN? If so, how did it attain that status? Simply by virtue of
the application being accepted? Does the ICANN Board pass a resolution
making the successful applicant a division of ICANN? Does the Board have
an opinion on this?

I've stated a preference for incorporating because it gives dnso.org more
control over its legal status and does not leave important legal
protection for its members to ICANN Board decisions that are beyond its
control. I'll admit though, this is a complete non-issue if ICANN plans
to make the SOs a part of itself, as opposed to simply "recognizing"
them. Does anyone have a sense of what the ICANN Board wants to do here?

-- Bret