Re: [ifwp] Re: DNSO documents

Bret Fausett (baf@fausett.com)
Sun, 20 Dec 98 23:13:35 -0500

Kent Crispin wrote:
>I have been thinking of the writing of bylaws
>as essentially a mechanical exercise once the application is fleshed
>out. That is, the difficult work here is in the negotiations, not in
>the writing.

I don't think we really disagree, except perhaps on the order in which
this ought to be done. When I originally climbed up on my soapbox, it
appeared that dnso.org was planning to submit a relatively sketchy
application to ICANN by December 15th, and I suggested that the
application -- without more -- was probably destined to fail. (And I've
always agreed that a detailed proposal could be turned into bylaws in
relatively short order.)

Indeed, the reason I suggested drafting bylaws *before* drafting the
application was because it might force more rigorous thinking on what the
organization should be and how it should behave. An application can make
promises about what the organization will do, but bylaws show what the
organization *is* doing.

It sounds from your post though that dnso.org is now planning to flesh
out its application and perhaps even convert it into bylaws or some other
governance document. And the December 15th deadline (originally suggested
by ICANN, I know) has come and gone.

Please bring me up to date on the plans. What is the current thinking on
when the application will be sent out? After the Washington meeting? How
many more drafts before it's final?

Thanks. -- Bret