Re: [ifwp] RE: time

Christopher Ambler (cambler@iodesign.com)
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 13:12:27 -0800

>Quite frankly, we (ORSC) would be delighted to have DNSO.ORG open
>itself up to more public view and offer more public accountability, so
>ORSC would not feel compelled to create alternative DNSO plans.

Image Online Design has to agree on this point, completely.

IOD has serious concerns about any Domain Name Support Organization
in that IOD has the longest-standing operational registry (in its .web
registry) and expects new registries to be added in a fair and open
manner. If the behaviour of the DNSO.ORG group is any indication of
how they would act were they to become the Domain Name Support
Organization for ICANN, Image Online Design has little trust that
the addition of new registries would be handled in anything close
to a fair and open manner.

The ORSC, on the other hand, has a track record of open and fair
participation, and stands a much better chance of creating a DNSO
that embodies these factors. If the DNSO.ORG effort were more
open, I suspect that ORSC members would be happy to participate
rather than have to do all the work of creating a new organization
from scratch. Alas, that openness doesn't seem to be forthcoming.

Time is short. Image Online Design has been waiting to have its
.web registry added to the root servers for over 3 years now.
That has been more than 3 years of an unfair trade situation.
In the spirit of a solution that works for the Internet as a whole,
Image Online Design has participated in each and every forum
since Jon Postel originally started discussing these matters
on a small mailing list called "newdom."

Patience only goes so far, however. It costs IOD money each
and every day that we wait, and the company does not wish
to wait much longer and lose more money.

Is anyone at the Department of Commerce listening? How
much longer must a business wait, and how much more
money must a business lose before this situation is resolved?

--
Christopher