Re: What's happening

Esther Dyson (edyson@edventure.com)
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 17:50:19 -0500

Excuse me: I am not giving the keynote speech... this is not a trade show.
I am - I hope - helping to set the agenda and encouraging all of you to come
together into a compromise, not trying to railroad a "winning proposal"
through.

Yours,
Esther Dyson
iChairman, ICANN

At 03:22 PM 17/01/99 -0500, you wrote:
>What's happening.
>
>The big business/trademark people are having a closed meeting in Washington
>to push through their demands. They refuse individual membership in the
>DNSO. It looks like they're going to set up a wrap-up right after the 22nd
>to railroad through their demands for the DNSO.
>
>Esther Dyson is giving the keynote speech on the 22nd. This looks like the
>ICANN Board is agreeing with the trademark people, and throwing the users
>out of the DNSO.
>
>This agenda of WIPO, INTA, and the ICC is going through if it isn't stopped
>dead right now. The DNSO.org hasn't the guts to oppose them. It's time for a
>statement from ICANN. If the fix is in, why waste everyone's time? On the
>other hand, if ICANN won't accept having the DNSO taken over by big business
>then let them say so, let them say so now, so the Internet community can
>negotiate fairly and find a compromise!

Esther Dyson Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
interim chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
edyson@edventure.com
1 (212) 924-8800
1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com

High-Tech Forum in Europe: October 1999, Budapest
PC Forum: 21 to 24 March 1999, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
Book: "Release 2.0: A design for living in the digital age"