Re: What's happening

Esther Dyson (edyson@edventure.com)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 13:23:56 -0500

I/we am waiting to see the proposal(s), and the rationales behind them.

Esther

At 09:02 AM 18/01/99 -0500, Michael Sondow wrote:
>Esther Dyson a écrit:
>>
>> Excuse me: I am not giving the keynote speech... this is not a trade show.
>
>Unfortunately, it seems that it is going to be a sort of trade show. It's
>been organized by the ICC and the INTA, hasn't it, rather than the DNSO? And
>in a place and on dates set by the e-commerce section of the ITAA?
>
>> I am - I hope - helping to set the agenda
>
>I'm sorry to disillusion you, Esther, but the agenda has been set by the
>ITAA. Not by ICANN, and not by the DNSO.
>
>> and encouraging all of you to come
>> together into a compromise,
>
>How can a compromise between all parties be reached, when all parties are
>not being allowed to sit at the negotiating table? Are you aware that a
>closed meeting, from which representatives of Internet users and other
>sectors of the Internet have been excluded, is taking place on Thursday, and
>that the ITAA has already lied about the nature of that closed meeting,
>first saying that it was only procedural and then sending a message to the
>DNSO saying "We recognize that new or modified material may be generated on
>Thursday"? And that the organizers of the two meetings have hired a
>"professional facilitator" (whatever that may mean) whose identity is
>unknown to the Internet community, which has not been consulted in his or
>her selection?
>
>> not trying to railroad a "winning proposal"
>> through.
>
>Perhaps not. But by giving the opening speech you seem to be condoning the
>proceedings, which by Friday morning will already have been defined as
>unfair and exclusionary. After you speak, a proposal is going to be
>presented that has not been arrived at by any kind of consensus or public
>process, and which is the work of people who are not members of the Internet
>community. That proposal will specifically exclude individuals from
>membership in the DNSO, and say that the DNSO Names Council members who sit
>on the Board of ICANN must be people from the business community. Are you
>content to lend your name and presence to this rubbish? If the end-users of
>the Internet held a meeting at which we proposed to exclude all business
>people, trademark lawyers, and registries and registrars from the DNSO,
>something that we never have nor ever will propose, would you come and give
>the opening speech at such a meeting?
>
>Your intentions may be good, but it is clear that you are being used by the
>ITAA, ICC, and INTA to legitimize what might very well otherwise be
>considered illegitimate by everyone except them.

Esther Dyson Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
interim chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
edyson@edventure.com
1 (212) 924-8800
1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com

High-Tech Forum in Europe: October 1999, Budapest
PC Forum: 21 to 24 March 1999, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
Book: "Release 2.0: A design for living in the digital age"