Re: Communications

JOE BENNION (joe.bennion@wasatchacad.pvt.k12.ut.us)
21 Jun 1997 21:57:34 -0700

RE>Communications 1/19/57

Katrina,
On our 1994 trip through the Canyon we had a radio that our TL had rented
from Donnie. We had our emergency at mile 131 right below Bedrock. It was a
kidney stone and required a flight out. (Mainly because we all thought it was
appendicitis.) We could not reach any one from that deep in the canyon so we
sent some climbers up to where they could radio out. The radio definitely
helped but has it's limitations. From the time we started trying to radio out
till the airship arrived was only two hours. If there is an aircraft of some
sort over head it is a pretty handy gadget. I've heard rangers say that 90% of
those types of evacs are brought in by signal mirrors. That may be a wildly
inaccurate statistic. One nice thing about certain days in the summer is the
abundance of commercial boat traffic who carry radios. For now we don't carry
a radio which may not be a smart thing. The problem for us is getting the darn
thing from Flagstaff when we are comming from Utah and it is the only thing we
need to rent.
On a related issue, we also had bought group trip insurance that year.
The fine print, which our TL had not read, limited the policy to accidental
injury so the kidney stone was not covered. Our personal insurance had a
ceiling of $500 for air flight of any kind. The flight out of the Canyon alone
was $1800. Look into what your policy will do. That was 1994. I'm betting it
costs more than that now to get out of paradise by chopper.
Good luck with your trip. Joe the Potter

Joseph Bennion
PO Box 186
Spring City, Utah 84662
801-462-2708