Re: CRMP meeting in Salt Lake (personal views)

Benjamin Harding (blh@hydrosphere.com)
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 12:16:19 +0000

On 15 Sep 97 at 16:35, Robert Kertesz wrote:

> ....THOSE WITH SPEED DIAL AND FLEXIBLE SCHEDUALES OR THOSE WITH LOW
> WAIT LIST NUMBERS? WHO SHOULD GET FIRST DIBS ON CANCELLATIONS?

Here's something I posted on this subject to the river
access list:

Because those waiting for launches are waiting for the
opportunity to lead or set up their own trip, I think
we should not allow repeat trips to take away
opportunities from folks on the list. Thus, instead of
the current first-come-first served system for filling
cancellations, I suggest a 2-business-day auction based
on your position on the list. Lowest list position
requesting the lauch within the time limit gets the
launch. I personally find the first-come-first-served
dialing derbies disgusting. Of course, if the trip
doesn't "sell" to someone on the list, then give to the
first caller.

I would be interested in hearing other's thoughts on this. Of
course, this is something that could be done now, but it won't
replace a fundamentally fair system.

To subscribe to the river access list server, send a message to
list.manager@hydrosphere.com containing

subscribe riveraccess
end

Ben

-- Ben Harding              blh@hydrosphere.com --
--       Hydrosphere Resource Consultants       --
--       Hydrosphere Data Products              --
--       1002 Walnut, Suite 200                 --
--       Boulder CO 80302                       --
-- 303-443-7839 voice          303-442-0616 fax --
-- Publishing Natural Resources Data on CD ROM  --
--  Consultants in Natural Resources Planning   --