Re: CRMP meeting in Salt Lake (personal views)

Robert Kertesz (Robert.Kertesz@m.k12.ut.us)
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 15:57:18 +0000

Benjamin Harding wrote:

> On 15 Sep 97 at 16:35, Robert Kertesz wrote:
>
> > ....THOSE WITH SPEED DIAL AND FLEXIBLE SCHEDUALES OR THOSE WITH LOW
> > WAIT LIST NUMBERS? WHO SHOULD GET FIRST DIBS ON CANCELLATIONS?
>
> Here's something I posted on this subject to the river
> access list:
>
> Because those waiting for launches are waiting for the
> opportunity to lead or set up their own trip, I think
> we should not allow repeat trips to take away
> opportunities from folks on the list. Thus, instead of
> the current first-come-first served system for filling
> cancellations, I suggest a 2-business-day auction based
> on your position on the list. Lowest list position
> requesting the lauch within the time limit gets the
> launch. I personally find the first-come-first-served
> dialing derbies disgusting. Of course, if the trip
> doesn't "sell" to someone on the list, then give to the
> first caller.

I think this is a step in the right direction. It gives low numbers
"first dibs" with a time frame that is more reasonable than 15 minutes.
Where I think it fails is that it only addresses the trip leader, not
the passenger list...
Now, before you misinterpret my complaint let me elaborate.
First, I think a trip leader should have the right to chose the
participants of their trip, but I struggle with a participant list that
is dominated by folks who have been down the canyon multiple times.
I recognize that there is much to be said for having "experierenced"
members on your trip roster. I can't imagine an entire trip of "rookie"
privates having as satisfying (or as safe) an experience as a trip with
members that can share prior knowledge of safety, planning,
organization...etc. This email venue has really facillitated this
process by linking experienced boaters with the inexperienced and
nervous.
But, and I've been a part of this, to go on trip after trip as a
resource of knowledge and equipment, taking those precious user days
year after year...I am certainly not helping to reduce the long waiting
list with this repetiveness. What I wonder is..why not let me(and those
like me) sit on the sidelines for a few..while the list settles
out...and let others have the opportunity. Dare I propose that people
who have run the ditch in any given year sbound wait a few before they
go again??? Give the option to privates to hire a "certified commercial
guide" to "lead" their trip without it affecting the number of
"participants"...(simliar to current commercial regs where the crew does
not count on user days.)

I know that my next trip won't be my own, I'm so far down on the list
I'll never top out.(I'll end up on the bottom again because I'll
participate in other trips...but its the trip I'm looking forward to the
most...I want to fill it with folks I know that haven't
ever been down...so they can attempt to understand my somewhat warped
and over occupied enchantment with the place...

Rob Kertesz