Why the system is broken

Benjamin Harding (blh@hydrosphere.com)
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 15:39:43 +0000

On 16 Sep 97 at 16:47, Jazzerr@aol.com wrote:

> While I believe the System is not broken I do believe that we
> can improve it, as improvement and fixing it are two different
> things.

Right off the top of my head here are some reasons I think
the system is broken:

The current system relies on grants of access to
concessionaires, allowing them to broker access to
river runners.

The current system does not provide data to evaluate
river use between "sectors", i.e. demand.

The current system does not provide a mechanism to
adjust the rationing method to really reflect demand.

The fundamental methods of rationing differ between
sectors, with the inconveniences used to ration use fall
disproportionately on one sector.

By limiting competition (and by letting concessionaires
broker access), NPS has caused prices to increase to
the point where big portions of the public cannot
afford a trip in the Grand Canyon.

Ben

-- Ben Harding              blh@hydrosphere.com --
--       Hydrosphere Resource Consultants       --
--       Hydrosphere Data Products              --
--       1002 Walnut, Suite 200                 --
--       Boulder CO 80302                       --
-- 303-443-7839 voice          303-442-0616 fax --
-- Publishing Natural Resources Data on CD ROM  --
--  Consultants in Natural Resources Planning   --