Re: Why the system is broken

mwb@pacbell.net
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 16:05:41 -0700

Benjamin Harding wrote:

> On 16 Sep 97 at 16:47, Jazzerr@aol.com wrote:
>
> > While I believe the System is not broken I do believe that we
> > can improve it, as improvement and fixing it are two different
> > things.
>
> Right off the top of my head here are some reasons I think
> the system is broken:
>
> The current system relies on grants of access to
> concessionaires, allowing them to broker access to
> river runners.
>
> The current system does not provide data to evaluate
> river use between "sectors", i.e. demand.
>
> The current system does not provide a mechanism to
> adjust the rationing method to really reflect demand.
>
> The fundamental methods of rationing differ between
> sectors, with the inconveniences used to ration use fall
> disproportionately on one sector.
>
> By limiting competition (and by letting concessionaires
> broker access), NPS has caused prices to increase to
> the point where big portions of the public cannot
> afford a trip in the Grand Canyon.
>
> Ben
>

> --
> -- Ben Harding blh@hydrosphere.com --
> -- Hydrosphere Resource Consultants --
> -- Hydrosphere Data Products --
> -- 1002 Walnut, Suite 200 --
> -- Boulder CO 80302 --
> -- --
> -- 303-443-7839 voice 303-442-0616 fax --
> -- --
> -- Publishing Natural Resources Data on CD ROM --
> -- Consultants in Natural Resources Planning --
Got to agree with your last statement Ben. I know a guy who bid on the
last go round to run commercially. Per the rules, his bid was given to
the competition to see if they were willing to match what he had
offered. Since they said yes they would,the new bidder was not awarded
a contract to run commercially. To date however, I don't see any change
in the existing company's operations. Not exactly fair and above board
I'd say. Not to mention the trip costs on the new contract would have
been greatly reduced for the public.