Re: Redtape

Benjamin Harding (blh@hydrosphere.com)
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 11:43:15 +0000

On 17 Sep 97 at 9:34, Kent Crispin wrote:

> This is a pretty complicated issue, and there are many ways to look
> at it. Consider the following argument for the commercial boater
> perspective:
>
> The percentage of people who are capable of running their own trip
> is miniscule compared to the much larger group who love the Canyon
> but don't have the skills, time, or physical abilities to do their
> own trip. The commercial boaters serve this much larger segment of
> the population, and thus the much larger allocation of userdays is
> justified.

This argument used to work when commercial trips were more
reasonably priced. Now, concessionaires serve only a very small
percentage of that "much larger segment". Every one else
is priced out.

> Also, I think that the idea of a new intermediate between commercial
> trips and private trips is good -- a "paid freelance guide" trip,
> sort of...

This would be a great step.

Ben

-- Ben Harding              blh@hydrosphere.com --
--       Hydrosphere Resource Consultants       --
--       Hydrosphere Data Products              --
--       1002 Walnut, Suite 200                 --
--       Boulder CO 80302                       --
-- 303-443-7839 voice          303-442-0616 fax --
-- Publishing Natural Resources Data on CD ROM  --
--  Consultants in Natural Resources Planning   --