FW: Red Tape

STRAIN Steve A (Steve.A.STRAIN@ci.eugene.or.us)
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 14:40:00 -0700

----------
From: STRAIN Steve A
To: TLDUVAL@aol.com
Subject: Re: Red Tape
Date: Wednesday, September 17, 1997 2:30PM

I too have seen the lack of environmental sensitivity that seems to
come from the commercial clients. I have been down the Grand three
times since 90 and have noted the degradation of the archaeological
sites and increased lack of consideration on the part of commercial
clients. On several occasions I had to point out to the "dudes" not to
put their hands on the pictographs at Deer Creek, or throw rocks down
into the slot canyon where someone was hiking.

As private boaters, we are required to go through an orientation and
environmental impact lecture with the NPS Rangers. It seems the only
orientation the dudes get is where to hang on. The guides seem to take
it seriously but unfortunately they are vastly outnumbered. How can a
system that allows 30 or more clients crammed into a campsite not
create a negative environmental impact ? Yet as private boaters we are
limited to 16 participants. How is this fair or environmentally
friendly?

River Doc