Re: Splitting

Benjamin Harding (blh@hydrosphere.com)
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 09:50:18 +0000

On 4 Oct 97 at 20:43, ReidGryder@aol.com wrote:

> What I would really like to see would be a discussion of the River Access
> Policies (i.e. the waiting list) and the effect that has on different
> people's opportunity to visit the ditch.

Try the riveraccess list:

Send a message to list.manager@hydrosphere.com containing:

subscribe riveraccess
end

This issue has been discussed on riveraccess. Send me a message
if you would like to see the archives.

> I really feel like the current process actually favors getting
> people who have already been many times back on the river
> again -- to the exclusion of the multitudes who have held the
> dream for a lifetime and have not been fortunate to have the
> opportunity to go.

The reason for this is the high percentage of cancellations and
the reason for that is the crummy rationing and launch
scheduling systems used for privates. No one can predict what
they'll be doing 8-20 years in the future, so some folks wake
up one morning to find a permit in their mailbox that they have
no chance of using. Others want to use it but can't schedule a
trip under the inflexible system NPS forces on us. These two
things fall under the heading "rationing by inconvenience" and
result in folks who want to go but must schedule losing their
trip.

Sometimes people want to add folks to their permit, for
sociability, experience or equipment. This does not displace
anyone waiting for a permit.

Both these problems can be improved markedly, dramatically.
I've made suggestions re solutions in my comments to NPS on the
GCRMP. I'll forward them to anyone interested or post them if
folks are interested.

Ben

-- Ben Harding              blh@hydrosphere.com --
--       Hydrosphere Resource Consultants       --
--       Hydrosphere Data Products              --
--       1002 Walnut, Suite 200                 --
--       Boulder CO 80302                       --
-- 303-443-7839 voice          303-442-0616 fax --
-- Publishing Natural Resources Data on CD ROM  --
--  Consultants in Natural Resources Planning   --