Re: repeats

David Yeamans, CST-7, 5-8832, dryeamans@lanl.gov (dryeamans@lanl.gov")
Mon, 06 Oct 1997 09:50:21 -0600

At 08:04 AM 10/6/97 -0600, you wrote:
>At 07:23 AM 10/6/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>My perspective was, and is, that a call-in system and repeat users are a
>>pure boon. It takes considerable practice and ability to put together a
>>Grand trip, and life circumstances change beyond our ability to envision or
>>predict. This would mean lots of wasted dates, if there were not people
>>who could move on short notice. Repeat users aren't taking anything away
>>from those of us with congealed lives; they make use of opportunities we
>>don't. Other than envy, what's the problem?
>>
>Very well put. Repeat users are the ones that take up the 40% cancellation
>and put private use at near 99% of the current allocation.
>
>Most of the 9 private trips I've been on in GC have been cancellations with
>the shortest notice being 2 weeks. Only 2 of these trips had the permitee
>going through the entire waiting list process.

Okay, so envy is the problem. I have some of it. I am not a repeater now
because of decisions I made with my life 2.5 decades ago, after my 7th
Canyon trip, when access was not an issue.

Just suppose that we invoke the Marley solution and increase the private
allocation by N people. We would find that close to 0.4N of that increase
would go to repeats, and not to shortening the wait list. Does this mean
that we should increase the non-comercial allocation by 1.4N? I don't think
so. (Yes, I know that if we increase allocation, then the multiplier for
repeats would drop from 0.4 to something less, but my feeling is that it
would not be much less.) Does this effect point to a problem with
increasing the allocation or a problem with repeaters, or both?

I think this is evidence that increasing the total allocation is not a
single point solution to the wait list problem. However, I am not ready to
suggest that the repeaters move to the back of the line because I earnestly
desire to be a repeater. It strikes me as workable and less irritating to
the non-repeats if we construct a system that shortens the wait list to
about 3 years. I have plenty of (strikethrough -- I mean some) other rivers
to protect and enjoy during the wait period.

"my dad is a raven"