(no subject)

From: Alex Kamantauskas (alexk@tugger.net)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 07:39:41 PST

APPLICATION AND INFORMATION FORM FOR PARTICIPATION IN NON-COMMERCIAL DOMAIN
NAME HOLDERS CONSTITUENCY
Draft June 30, 1999

BACKGROUND:

  The Non-Commercial Domain Name Holders Constituency has a special place in
  the DNSO. The NCDNHC is intended to be independent of commercial interests.
  Its members will be those organizations whose uses and applications of the
  Internet are primarily non-commercial. Its purpose is to support
  non-commercial speech and activity on the Internet, to protect the rights of
  non-commercial domain name holders, and to forge together the interests of
  non-commercial domain name holders. NCDNHC must provide the voice and
  representation for organizations that serve non-commercial interests and
  provide services such as community organizing, promotion of the arts,
  children's welfare, religion, education, scientific research, human rights
  and the advancement of the Internet as a global communications system
  available to all segments of society. The interests of such organizations are
  not necessarily represented by the other constituencies of the DNSO and
  deserve to be represented in the NCDNHC.

SIGN UP PROCEDURE:

  The NCDNHC represents a large and heterogenous group of organizations, many
  of whom are not yet aware of the ICANN, its processes, and their impact. It
  is crucial to the success of the constituency that it be operated in an open
  manner which will encourage new organizations meeting the membership criteria
  to join and participate.

  It is also important that those within the constituency have the opportunity
  to learn about a member, any possible conflicts the member might have, and
  the position and title of the person designated to represent the member.

  Please provide the following information in order to participate in the
  Non-Commercial Domain Name Holders Constituency of the Domain Name Supporting
  Organization of ICANN.

A. Basic Information for Organization

    1. What is the name of your Organization?

        Tugger Foundation

    2. Is the Organization a member of any other constituency in the Domain
        Name Supporting Organization of ICANN?

        No.

    3. What is the major domain name of the Organization?

        tugger.net

    4. Does the Organization have a website and if so, would you provide
        the URL?

        We have a website at http://www.tugger.net/, it is currently dark
        but should be up again soon.

B. Contact information for Representative of Organization

    1. What is your name and title with the Organization?

       Alex Kamantauskas. This organization does not grant titles.

    2. How can other representatives reach you? (email, telephone, fax
       appreciated)

       alexk@tugger.net, phone# 315-468-9058

    3. How is it that you have come to represent the Organization in
       this Constituency? (Please furnish appropriate indication that the
       Organization has authorized your participation, for example, vote of
       membership, vote of directors, action by officer(s) or consensus of
       members.)

       I was selected by general consensus of the members of this
       organization.

    4. Are there other representatives from your Organization who will be
       participating in this Constituency? Is so, who is authorized to vote on
       behalf of the Organization?

       At this time, no.

C. Purpose of Organization:
    1. What are the Organization's primary activities?

       Tugger Foundation is a research group that examines the potential
       offered by the Domain Name System. Our areas of research included
       alternate root server systems, multiple generic Top Level Domains
       (gTLD), and development of free administrative tools for various
       DNS software packages, including BIND.

    2. What are the Organization's primary activities on the Internet?

       Same as above.

    3. Please furnish a statement of how the Organization's purposes and
       activities conform to the NCDNHC Constituency's goals and membership
       requirements. This should be a narrative statement which
       specifically describes the Organization's purposes and activities
       and may include references to charter or by-law provisions.

       Tugger Foundation was born from the idea that the Internet can be
       fully utilized without going through commercial entities. We were
       originally formed as a project to develop a private, non-commercial
       root server system that would also resolve InterNIC domain names.
       We were an original partner in the FreeTLD Foundation, an early
       attempt at developing a system of free domain names.

       Tugger Foundation is dedicated to the belief that individuals and
       organizations should be allowed to freely use the Internet.

D. Type of Organization:
    Please furnish information regarding your Organization's legal status
    -- is it incorporated (if so, in what jurisdiction) or unincorporated?
    If incorporated, doe it have a not-for-profit or non-commercial status?

    Tugger Foundation is unincorporated, and generates no revenue or income.

E. Size of Organization:
    The NCDNHC will have two subgroups: one for Large and the other for
    Small Organizations. Please indicate the category of membership or
    employee size. If the Organization has both members and employees,
    please answer both questions.

    1. Are you a membership organization? If so, does the Organization have
       under or over 1000 members? What type of individuals or entities
       are members of your Organization?

       No, we are not a membership organization.

    2. If you are a non-member organization, do you have under or over 200
       employees?

       No, we do not have over 200 employees.

F. Conflict of Interest

    Note: Conflict of Interest may or may not be a bar to joining the
    NCDNHC. The hope is that by circulating information about our views,
    backgrounds, and possible conflicts of interests, others in the NCDNHC
    will have a better idea how to interpret and weigh the ideas that we
    put forward.

    1. For the Organization:

    Please furnish a brief statement concerning any possible conflict
    between the goals of the Constituency and the Organization's purposes,
    functions or activities.

     At this point, I do not see any conflicts of interest between Tugger
     Foundation and the Constituency. We are a non-commercial domain name
     holder, and our raison d'etre is to help other non-commercial domain
     name holders.

    Has the Organization been involved in Internet governance before? Does
    it have any developed positions that you would like others to know
    about? If so, please describe below or provide a URL.

     Tugger Foundation has never been involved in Internet governance.

    2. For the Representative:

    As individuals, many of us have been involved in Internet governance
    before. If you have any positions on Internet governance that you
    would like others to read about (taken on behalf of this Organization
    or others or as an individual), please feel free to tell us about them
    or drop a URL below.

      I have never had a major role in Internet governance. I have been
      following the domain name issue very closely, as it directly impacts
      the work we do at the Tugger Foundation. I am currently involved
      with the General Assembly of the Domain Name Supporting Organization.

G. Is there anything else you would like to add?

    Not at this time.

H. To submit this membership form, you must send the above information to
    NCDNHC-Application@LYRIS.ISOC.ORG.

    In addition to being circulated on the NCDNHC list hosted by ISOC, this
    information will be made available on the NCDNHC website so that new
    organizations, as they join the Constituency can read and learn about
    existing members.

--
Alex Kamantauskas
alexk@tugger.net