Re: CHARTER - FINAL DECISION

From: Milton Mueller (mueller@syr.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 17:22:52 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr. Nii Quaynor" <quaynor@ghana.com>
To: "Non-Commercial Domain Name Holders

> we are in a global economy and the 5 regions should have direct and clear
> representation.

I think this debate is becoming distorted by the "regional" issue and we are
missing the more significant point.

> the person from north america should be acting in the interest of adcom
> ncdnhc and *not* for north america. icann is structured to be global with
> geographic diversity requirement.

The issue is not the region that the elected NC member comes from. The point
is that that person was elected by a greater number of NCDNHC members than
the 2 additional people on the AdCom. The point is also that the 5 people
elected to the AdCom do not necessarily have the same views. Again, this
difference of opinion may have nothing to do with region they come from.
There are, for example, huge differences of opinion between Kent and I on
many issues, and we both come from the same region. As a constituency member
I and many other North Americans might vote for a Latin American or European
or Asian or African candidate rather than Kent. And the point is not to
single out Kent. The same is true of other regions. I daresay that Kathy
Kleiman attracted votes from outside North America when she was elected. Any
candidate from any region can attract votes from anywhere.

Here is an example of what I am concerned about. Suppose Kent and Dany are
both running for NC. I cast my vote for Dany. Let's say Dany gets 100 votes
and comes in first place, and Kent gets 20 votes and comes in 4th. Now, I
and 100 members are happy with Dany as our representative. We voted for him.
But if Dany cannot make a meeting, you are saying that Kent will be my NC
representative. That will make me and probably 100 other members very
unhappy. Our new NC rep has only the support of 20 members, and does not
reflect our views.

Now please don't tell me that Kent will suddenly change his character and
become perfectly cooperative with people whose views he opposes. Please
don't tell me that this problem is overcome because Kent can confer with
Dany and be cooperative and nice and strive to reflect the views of everyone
in the constituency. That's just naive. We have differences of opinion, and
those are reflected in votes. The NC representative should vote the way the
people who elected him want him to vote.

It is therefore quite reasonable for Dany, the elected representative, to
pick someone he thinks will vote the way he would vote.

> too personalized. say reflects the view of adcom.

There is no one "view of AdCom." There are many different views.

> i am concerned about the political situation of the contested proposal
where
> there may be denial of adequate participation from other regions.

Again, the issue is not regional. If an Asian, African, and LAC gets the
first three positions in NC elections, they should choose their alternates.

---
You are currently subscribed to ncdnhc-discuss as: Kent@SONGBIRD.COM