Alternate Issue can be interpreted differently according to situations.

From: YJ Park (yjpark@aptld.org)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 19:04:53 PST

Dear Milton,

There are some points I would like to unfold my views regarding this controversial alternate issues.

>From our past experiences, NA is the only region this system could be used practically even though Raul had an alternative,
Alejandro, who couldn't have any chance to alternate him until he got elected as Board member. AP didn't have alternative.

Before doing this, your former too much detailed explanations with specific names could hurt someone.:-)

The whole point about Alternate sems to arise from the fact that we don't have enough manpower regarding all the specailized sectors from legal areas to political ones, which sometimes result in bumping each other.

For example, in Santiago Kathy and Randy(Alternate of Kathy) were eager to protect NCDNHC in terms of UDRP. Including myself, most the other region people were just listning their Saga.
It was great!!

Kathy might have been so frustrated whenever she needs to cooperate with the other region of people, which would require extra explanatons and efforts. I fully understand it. I feel sorry for that, too.

In this sense, someone from NA needs their alternate, which might look representatives from the other regions just like some puppets. Just another ICANN syndrome.:-)

The point is here. We came here not to lose our own rights within the ICANN. However, the problem is even among the same Non-commercial organizations there are too many different levels of organizations from financial-wise to Internet-awareness-wise.
Most Asia and Africa organizations are not ready to understand the whole issues, yet.

It means the same non-commercial organizations want something different according their situations.

This issue could all the way lead to regional issues again which most people would sick of. However, region itself is not a point here.

Even though we get Alternates finally through right process, which would bring about another controversial issues in Names council.
That has already happened a month ago, though.

This constituency is the only constituency which came to ICANN not to lose our rights unlike the other constituencies which came to ICANN to get something.:-)

So, which result we would get later,
either proposal 1 or proposal 2,
we really have to cooperate cohesively among members.

Regards,

YJ
آy˫+.n+vx\جr,jz{HFC#Nrzǧujy^jg݊.oL\ⲇ