Re: FINAL DECISION - RESULTS

From: KathrynKL@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 10:22:09 PST

Unfortunately, we are at deadline. The ICANN Board expects a charter from
NCDNHC, and in January we recommitted to giving them one by today. At some
point, the discussion ends to be considered at the next charter revision. I
remember in the creation of the initial charter, we had some areas where full
agreement was not reached. We put the majority position in the charter, and
made a note at the end of the charter that the issue was controversial and
needed to be revisited at the next charter revision.

We must move forward to elections! Otherwise, we will not have
representatives in Cairo, and our Constituency will be hurt in the important
discussions now before the Names Council. Let's work together to move
forward and build the constituency together

More comments below, regards, kathy

> Part of the problem IMO is that we did not allow the concepts to crystalize
> before committing them to text and to make things more difficult, proposal
1
> was modifed in mid stream on a fly and put to a vote against proposal 2
> which was still at the concept stage. What is needed is:
>
> 1. the original concept of running mates in proposal 1 should be scrapped
> (if not already)
> 2. it should be clear that 5 persons are elected; one from each region to
> adcom. the top 3 are NC and the remaining 2 are adcom and also act as
> alternates to the NC members.
> 3. it should also be clear that NC members *dont* vote as individuals but
> vote as adcom desires (or we dont have a constituency; we have self serving
> individuals and it will be bad)

Your point #3 is a new idea that was introduced midstream as well. What does
it mean for NC members to vote as the Adcom desires. What if the Adcom is
divided? What if the Adcom does not have a position? What if the Adcom has
not met?
This is an issue which Nii introduced recently anew to the discussion -- and
while it is important to discuss -- it is not a part of the charter revisions
on which we voted.

---
You are currently subscribed to ncdnhc-discuss as: Kent@SONGBIRD.COM