Re: NCDNHC Application and Information Form

From: Dave Crocker (dcrocker@brandenburg.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 08:27:56 PDT

At 11:00 AM 5/30/00 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
>The constituency is not supposed to permit organizations to join because it
>approves of them or they way they are run. Nor does it attempt to take
>sides in
>internal disputes among members or former members of organizations. That
>Crocker
>has engaged in disputes with IDNO people and does not like them is totally

It might be convenient, albeit unprofessional, to try to turn this
objection into a personal matter, but that is not the issue.

At its core, the issue is that the IDNO is a sham. To pursue this question
more formally, using the NCDNHC' charter's membership criteria list:

>a) organizations holding at least one domain name,

they do.

>b) and which are incorporated as a non-commercial entity (in countries
>that have such a provision in their commercial code), or if unincorporated
>or operating in a country without provisions for non-commercial
>incorporation, operate on a not-for-profit basis primarily for
>non-commercial purposes, and

They do not.

>c) which are engaged in activities that are primarily non-commercial,
>including, e.g. political, educational, religious, charitable, scientific
>and artistic.

They do not.

Item c) is the only requirement that is substantive. So let us focus on it:

The IDNO does no work other than what I cited, namely debating amongst its
members about itself. It is engaged in literally no work for its stated
purpose and, as nearly as I can tell, never has been. Note also that even
their application was the private action of some individuals and not the
result of any IDNO organizational decision process.

The larger reason for raising the challenge to their membership is to
consider whether the NCDNHC wishes to have any meaningful filter on its
membership. If there are real criteria, presumably for the purpose of
ensuring that the membership somehow pertains to the stated goals of the
NCDNHC, then the criteria should be enforced. If there are no real
criteria, then this process of evaluating and seconding applications is a
waste of everyone's time and should be dropped and all membership
applications should be approved immediately and automatically.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253, Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA

---
You are currently subscribed to ncdnhc-discuss as: Kent@SONGBIRD.COM